River City Stories

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Car Saga

Alright, so I've never been the most fortunate when it came to cars and this week has been no exception. For those of you who don't already know, my "trusty" (but not so much as of late) Dodge Neon broke down on the side of a very busy intersection yesterday right as rush hour was starting on a 90+ degree afternoon. Turns out the timing belt busted and took out a water pump and who knows what else. We're looking at a total of $600 (more when the towing bill is included) to have it fixed. Now, onto the dilemma...

I had planned on buying a nice, new car this coming May once I started my residency b/c they pay us pretty decent (for a student at least) and I didn't really have a big need for the extra inflow of cash. I've had my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee since I was 15, so I thought the time would be then. I could get a new, or 1 year-old program car with all the options I wanted.

However, I can't afford that right now - but I do need reliable transportation since I travel alot and live in the city. So, we decided tonight that the neon shall be put to rest. (Well, I think dad's going to see if he can fix it and maybe sell it or keep it as a backup, but no rush on that). What that means is that I have to find a car that I can afford. So far, in the running we have:

Dodge Stratus

Its a step up from the neon, and you can get relatively sporty models for cheap. I might be able to find one with a sunroof, etc.


Dodge Intrepid

Mom has one of these and I do like the way they drive. Tad bit more pricey than a used stratus, but they look nice and you can get things like a sunroof or Autostick.


Chevy Impala

Not my favorite, but they ride nice and I might look like an unmarked police officer.





Honda Accord

Ok, I really like to stick to domestics, but this classic can't be ignored in the present situation.




Chevy Blazer

I only want the 4-door model, and will probably have to get one with alot of miles to get into my price range.


and finally...



Jeep Grand Cherokee

I could just go into some serious debt and get a older and less souped up version of the Cherokee. Of course, its gas mileage isn't that grand.




So, let me know what you think I should pick. Feel free to offer other alternatives. I can tell you that Rav4s and CRVs are out of the question - I don't like em.

15 Comments:

  • I vote for the Accord! They will run for 300,000 miles, have decent gas mileage, and are moderately stylish. Don't get the blazer, especially if it is going to have high miles! My brother had one, and we did not like it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 AM  

  • Oh I forgot to say...
    I read on consumer reports that jeep grand cherokees are good if you buy them new, but are not a good choice used. So I wouldn't go for the older cherokee either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • I love my Blazer eric - but with gas prices etc, i would get a car car right now. Honda's will run forever, they are always a good choice. I'm not a big fan of teh way chevrolet cars drive - love my blazer, hate the cars...

    I don' know much about Dodge's - you seemed to liek yours, but then again it didn't seem to be very reliable.

    so - i knoe thats not much help... but, it gives you something to think about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

  • I vote for the Cherokee first, but I have to throw the Honda in there as a second choice (yeah, I'm biased)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • I am a personal fan of the accords mainly because I know that they retain thier value. So when you go to trade it in for your Jeep Cherokee in the future you can still get a good deal on it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • i dont really have any advice to offer pertaining to a new car...although gas is pretty expensive right now...so thats my two cents...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 PM  

  • The Accord is the wisest choice. You can see prices and reviews at:
    www.edmunds.com
    Compare a 2000 and a 1999 to see depreciation.

    On the other hand, you can get a same year Stratus for half that price, or a 2002 Stratus for the same price, however, reliability is not comparable.

    I have owned an Accord and did not encounter a single problem until I reached almost 160,000 miles, and those were minor issues (rusting muffler, age-related, etc.). I recommend the Accord over other foreign makes because Honda's are more reliable than Nissans and sportier than Toyotas.

    I understand supporting domestics, however, most foreign cars are built in America now.

    Good luck with the decision - I apologize for the length of this book. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:11 PM  

  • I vote the accord!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • eric i think the honda would be good for you, they tend to hold up rather well and they tend to get a pretty good resale value. if you went with that then you could trade it in or sell it in may and get the jeep. i would also think it is small and eaisier to park in the city, but these are just my thought

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 PM  

  • accord, obviously. or an acura.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:24 PM  

  • Erock:

    I would first tell you to not get anything new now. You'll save money in the long run. That having been said, I think the Honda would be the best choice, albeit the most pricey of your choices. My roommate has an Intrepid, and it's been mostly reliable, with only minor occurrences (I think it was only one this past year). I chose something new, but I'll be paying for it for the next 5 years, well, 3 and 1/2 now. I think gas mileage should be your major factor, and dependability. Looks I would say is down the list, but make sure you're comfortable in the car (enough leg room). Okay, that's my 4 cents (I took a lot of room, like 2 - 2 cents)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • Get a MINI.

    Don't bother with the autostick, it's far from worth the money.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 AM  

  • I use the same accord thats in the picture there.. a red 99 acoord coupe..the car drives beautifully.. accelerates very well and handles good too...the gas mileage is in the range of 23-25 mpg...i would surely opt for the honda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:37 AM  

  • Go with the Accord, Hondas are very reliable over time (only matched in reliability with Toyotas in my opinion). Also it's great on gas, and with gas prices these days, that's hard to ignore.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home