River City Stories

Monday, December 19, 2005

Alive again

If I have any dedicated readers (which I doubt) who may have wondered where I've been the past few months, well I'm happy to report nothing bad has happened to me. This semester has been pretty tough and balancing time between work and the enormous amount of school work, even more challenging.

However, the semester is over and things are falling into place. I'm exactly halfway through my Masters Degree, so it's all downhill from here. I've been fortunate enough to be placed at a great hospital for my residency, working with two great healthcare executives in Richmond.

Christmas time is upon us now, but I don't have my typical holiday cheer for some reason. I've thought alot about why that may be - yet, I don't find many answers. Doubt comes to mind. Doubting my abilities, my gifts, my friends, my career choice, my faith - that's all happened this year. Lonliness? I miss my time and my friends from my VT years. The future? I've been anxious many times this past semester about my future.

I'm not sure that it is any one thing, probably a combination of many things. What I struggle with the most though, is recognizing all the good in my life right now. I've got a great job that I love. I've got a great residency location at that hospital which is going to be great and open up many career opportunities for me. I'm almost done with my Masters. I get to see my family quite a bit. I helped start a church revitalization and have seen it grow 600% in 6 months. I'm truly financially independant for the first time in my life. All of these things are great aspects of my life - but I still find myself not being content.

I think its really just uncertainty. My time back in Richmond has really not gone the way I "planned" it would. It hasn't gone drastically bad, but just different. God's thrown some curveballs my way when I was expecting a simple fastball. I think the important part though, is recognizing the game is changing in the first place. Articulating what I feel is not what I would call one of my strengths. In Blacksburg, I had a number of people who would just draw them out of me. Here in Richmond, I can hide them all I want - and that's not healthy or helpful.

So, for now - I'm gonna smile and try to get back into the Christmas spirit. You might not see me singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas" anytime soon, but I think I'll be happy remembering what the season really is all about.

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices
O night divine, the night when Christ was born

O night, O Holy Night , O night divine
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home