River City Stories

Monday, December 26, 2005

Merry Christmas (belated that is)

Well, Christmas has officially come and gone. We're now in the post-holiday shopping craze once again. I happily contributed to the retail madness by staying in my apartment almost all day and watching movies.

I have today and tomorrow off, and combined with last week and the weekend, that's 5 1/2 days that I've been completely off from work and school. That may not seem like a lot, but its been a very long time since I've taken this much time to just rest. I've found that I really do need these breaks even though I don't take advantage of them like I should. I'm trying to really use my breaks to the fullest though. For instance, over the Christmas break, I've pledged to turn off my pager (it's ok, I'm not on call) and I'm not checking my work e-mail or voicemail. Maybe some of you don't struggle with this "over-working" problem, but it's something that's really tough for me most of the time.

It's important for us all to get rest. Without rest, we tend to get lost in the day-to-day hustle and bustle of this world. We forget about family, friends, and the things in our lives that really matter. Without rest, I think we tend to get bitter, depressed, and disconnected. I often wonder why there aren't 26 or 30 hours in a day - I am always thinking that I could use a few extra hours in the day. But then I realized that if days were 30 hours long, I'd just take the extra 6 hours to do work, and not to rest. I think most of us would do that.

Throughout college, I worked hard at the concept of sabbath. Taking one day a week to not work and just to rest and reflect. It was one of the hardest things I did in my 4 years at Tech. I was lucky to have a couple of good friends who pushed me on it (and happened to be in positions to help me stay true to my sabbath when I otherwise would be needed). I need people like that now - we all need people like that. It's hard to do these things on our own strength.

So, 2006 is on its way. Looks like I've got a good start on resolutions. I'll be posting some more on my 2006 resolutions the rest of this week. Maybe if they are out in public online, I'll have some luck in keeping them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home