River City Stories

Thursday, December 29, 2005

More Resolutions

My first resolution for 2006 - watch more of The Cosby Show. Ok, so maybe that's not a serious resolution, but with all the repeats on TV this past week - I've ended up watching the Cosby Show more and more. You don't find good comedy like that on television anymore. If you haven't seen an episode of the show in a while, I recommend flipping over to Nick at Nite and catching one.

On a serious note though, a resolution that's is a frequenter on many people's list will grace mine (yet again) in 2006. It's exercising. I just got an e-mail reminding me to register for the Monument Avenue 10k. Those that know me are used to me running. I wouldn't call myself good, nor dedicated. What I know is that when I'm in a training routine leading up to a race, I usually feel so much better. I sleep better at night, tend to eat better (see resolution below), and have higher self esteem. Getting into an exercise routine gives me a sense of accomplishment that I don't find in school work or work. Last year I did relatively well - I even ran a 5k in Chicago when it was 20 degrees outside - but that ended around July/August when it got super hot outside.

My other resolution is nutrition. Anyone who knows me knows that I eat horribly. It's probably the worst part of my lifestyle. I'm fortunate to not have to watch what I eat in order to maintain my weight. Unfortunately, this induces a very lax attitude when it comes to eating. Because I don't "need" to eat right, I'm less inclined to do so. What I'm now realizing is that I do need to eat right - not for weight control, but in order to prevent myself from dying of a heart attack when I'm 30. We have a wellness program at work - and on my profile, nutrition came in with very low scores. Now the thing told me that I am healthy - my "effective" age is 23/24 - right on target. It said however, if I fixed a couple of things, especially in regards to my diet - I'd have the effective age of a 16 year old. I'm not sure I'd ever want to be 16 again, but I think anytime you age in the reverse direction, its gotta be better than going in the forward direction.

I think it's important to lead healthy lifestyles. It's important because it makes us feel good about ourselves and I think it shows some sense of responsibility. We need to be responsible for what we do to our bodies. We're given them by God and we should be thoughtful and purposeful for how we treat them. I confess that I also have an alternate reason - I work in and advocate for the healthcare industry. I want people to lead healthy lives - moreso, I want to help my community, the city I live in, be healthy. In order to do that, I need to get on the right path first - be "taking the plank out of my own eye" - before I start trying to change the people of Richmond.

Anyway - these are two more of my resolutions. Be sure to ask me how they are going come May (well, knowing me, you'd better ask January 15th!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home