River City Stories

Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year Richmond


New Year's Day is all about new beginnings to most people. It's a time when we all can take a step back, reflect on the past 12 months and then decide what we want the next 12 to be about. More often than not (like my previous posts) these new beginnings center around getting rid of bad habits or starting good ones. These are great, I agree - but why can't it be something more? Why won't we stand up and say - "This is the year that I start living for something" or "Right here, right now - my life is not just about me, it's about helping people, it's about living my life to God's pleasing and never looking back?"

I love a transformation story. We hear a lot of them around the holidays and you hear THE transformation story around Easter. But in between, there are very few of these stories. For Richmond to become the city I dream it can be, we need many, many more transformation stories. Today, I was able to walk around the city taking some picture with some good friends of mine. It was great because I got to see the city in a very quiet and peaceful state. Most of the businesses were closed because of the holiday so there were very few people out. As we were walking around and I was looking through my viewfinder, I could sense excitement. It's like the buildings and the streets are ready for change.

It's coming - Richmond is on the verge. It's going to take effort for all of us - yes, politicians included. But as we see our own transformations over the next few years, I do believe we will be amazed by the transformation of our city as well. Happy New Year Richmond!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home