River City Stories

Monday, June 05, 2006

Good for the Mind, Good for the Soul

Yes, I've cursed it many a time, especially in regards to anything related to academia. But I'm also secretly in love with it too. Yes Virginia, I'm a complex person. Actually, I don't think I'm all that complex - I'm talking about reading. Over the past few weeks, I've taken the time to pick up reading again. I really do love to read - of course, I like to read things that I'm interested in. While I do like a good fast-paced thriller from the likes of John Grisham, I've also been catching up on the pile of Newsweeks that have been hiding dust on my coffee table. I've dabbled in a Leadership book and have worked on some spirituality as well.

In times of high stress, the last thing I want to do when I'm at home is to really use my brain. I, like many other Americans, dutifully sit down on the couch, flip on the TV and veg. Don't get me wrong, I like TV. I'm addicted to many shows. Thankfully, we have this time called summer and these lovely things called reruns. It makes it so easy to turn off the TV and sit in the recliner and read.

So, give it a try. Find a book that really intrigues you at first. Read during that primetime of the evening usually reserved for television. Sit outside on your porch or maybe at a local park. The point is to expand your reading time outside of the 30 minutes before bed. I've really enjoyed taking the quiet time lately and letting my imagination act out the authors' words. I think you will too.

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home