River City Stories

Monday, June 26, 2006

Where's Your Spot?

I was in Blacksburg this past weekend to see one of my previous roommates get married. The wedding was great as was the time I got to spend with a number of friends I don't get to see very often. But as much fun as I had with that, there was something else that stuck out to me. On Sunday morning, I woke up somewhat early - at least before all the other guys in my old place were awake - so I decided to walk downtown and get a cup of coffee at Bollo's and then walk around a little. I looked around downtown to see what stores have come and gone and then walked through campus and I ended up at War Memorial Chapel. War Memorial was one of my favorite spots on campus when I was at Virginia Tech. I loved to sit on top of the Memorial against the pylons looking out across the drillfield. I remember many of times just sitting there for hours watching thousands of students walk to and from campus and thinking about the potential of each person I saw. It's pretty awe inspiring actually. You sit on top looking out at the future in the students, but at the same time, you are immersed in the past as you look across the many names etched in the stone pylons around you. Those names, of course, are those of alums who have died while serving our country.

I then ventured to the lower level and spent some time in the chapel itself. The chapel isn't anything great - but it's quiet and peaceful. And of course, there is that grand piano that sits to the left of the alter. I was thankful the chapel was empty on this particular Sunday morning as I played a few songs that I used to enjoy singing in that very space.

War Memorial Chapel was very much one of "my spots" on campus. These spots were the places I would go when I needed to be alone or if I wanted to reflect on life or just pray. I reflect on this because I haven't found "my spot" here in Richmond yet. I've gone to a few different places, but I'm still looking for that place of peace to calm my soul now and again.

1 Comments:

  • I feel you dude. Bollos was my "spot" and I can't wait to the opportunity to visit there again. When we talk about these places though, we love them because they're familiar. There are other things that we love but this goes to the heart of it. And familiarity just takes time. I would even say that you, growing up in Richmond, still need time to develop that kind of familiarity in the life you're now living.

    Then I also remember that many of my familiar "spots" are what they are because of the people I was there with. So community, along with time, becomes really important. Thats why I'm encouraged by our community and what God's done in our lives over the past year.

    I'm so glad other people are having these same thoughts. Ian and I have had this conversation a dozen times and we always come to the conclusion I previously mentioned.

    I'm sitting in my favorite coffeshop, Crossroads, this morning. One day I hope it will be one of my "spots". All I need are the people I love to come and chill with me. Come on out sometime bro.

    By Blogger Jason Snook, at 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home