River City Stories

Sunday, July 16, 2006

My New Passion

It might not be a "passion" yet, but kayaking has certainly become a favorite activity of mine in the past month. I bought a Dagger Zydeco, which is a 9' and very lightweight boat. I've had it out on the Swift Creek Reservoir, the Rappahannock River, and the James River. The James is probably my favorite spot at the moment because I can take a really nice paddle upriver through some flat water and then you reach a dam where you can play a little in some rapids.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the exercise and I really like the relaxation it provides. Being out on the river early in the morning or before dusk is great. You can really hear the birds chirping, watch the fish jump, see the turtles out on their rocks, and notice even a small lizard swimming across the rover. I do like the peaceful areas of the river, but I'm looking forward to getting into some minor whitewater in the near future.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home